Johannesburg South Africa Temple

Johannesburg South Africa Temple
Click on to see what our family belives.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Settling in to Soweto Africa "TOWNSHIP" A Bit Crazy!!

M. gave a talk on Sunday in primary at the top it said. "There are others whose lives are blessed when a missionary serves, such as the members of his family who.....support him, pray for him, and try to live worthy of him." President Gordan B Hinckley (1910-2008) So thank you for blessing our lives in ways we do not know.

1. Did you ever get the package with the calendar in it?
2. Did you know that your body burns less calories in a warm climate then in a cold climate. So more in the winter cold then in the summer heat. That's why you can gain more in the summer if you are not working hard but I am sure you have to ride bikes and that keeps you trim.
3. Do you have a missionary cell phone?
4. How is your black bag working for you. Can you ride with it on a bike?

FINALLY A LETTER FROM AFRICA WE ARE SO SPOILED.

1.Yeah I finally got the third package with the stuff, but it had been damaged or ripped open so it came with a whole bunch of yellow tape all over it saying it had been secured by the ZA post office. I hope everything was in it, and I think it got a little wet or something, cause the apron had a big brown spot on it and the candy was all soggy chewyish. But it was cool.
2. I didn't know that, but I still think I'm about the same as when I left. My new area is a Bike area, and we only use the car every once in awhile.
3.Yeah each companionship has a missionary cell phone
4. Well the shoulder bag has been a good bag so far, but it was kind of awkward to use on the bike, so I'm using a back pack that my companion has given me now.


Sorry I didn't write last week, things have been pretty crazy around here. I got to my new area on the 10th of Feb and from there is when everything has been crazy. My first day I didn't even go with my companion (Elder Foreman) Because they had Baptism interviews, so instead I was with one of the zone leaders in their area. The next day was also crazy, because one of my brand new flat mates (Elder This) had developed Epilepsy in the weeks or so prior to me coming and he had a received a phone call the night before saying to pack his bags because he was flying home the next day (Thursdays the 11th) so our time was spent helping him pack and then dropped off at the mission office so he could leave. So because this elder returned home, we were then in a companionship of three until an elder who was supposed to go home but couldn't because of passport issues was sent back out in to the field to work with the other elder (Elder That). So that went on for about a day until Elder That, became Mysteriously ill with an unidentifiable heart illness that causes him to have these weird attacks. So he ended up staying in the mission home while we took the Old Elder with us in another three some companionship. After another day everything got straightend out with both, Elder That and the Old Elder, so the Old Elder went home and Elder That came back with Elder Foreman and myself to the original three some companionship until Sunday (Valentines day) when Elder Bullard, a returning missionary, who had gone home for surgery, was dropped of at church to be Elder That's companion. Where, during sacrament meeting Elder That had another attack and was taken back, along with Elder Bullard, to the mission home. In which they didn't return from until late that night after all proselyting had been done. Four of us spent the night in the flat and the next day was p-day which was a normal day. Then Tuesday the 16th came. This day Elder Foreman was to attend a Leadership conference because he is our District Leader. During this time I was in Elder That and Bullards area with them. It was a pretty good day everything was going good, we had some appointments, one of which we set a baptism date for an investigator, and all was well. At 1:00 we attended the mission office because Elder That had an appointment with the mission psychologist. That appointment took two hours in which during that time Elder Bullard and myself did office work. Finally at 3:00 Elder That was finished and it was time to retrieve Elder Foreman. So we waited about 20 minuets because the conference went over the normal time. Well during this time Elder That had another attack and to shorten the story he stayed at the home, came back, went back and is now currently living with a senior couple and working as an office missionary, while Myself and Elder Foreman work in our area and Elder Bullard works with different ward missionaries in an area he hardly even knows. So that is the story. and that is where we are now. Pretty crazy, kind of confusing and a whole lot of fun.
(Some names have been changed)

The new area I'm working in is what's called "Township" it's a huge area composed of little cement and tin houses all crammed together. It's a busy place and there's not a single white person anywhere, Just us, and all of the Township Kids see us and start yelling Mlungu meaning white person. I will have to send you some pictures and tell you more about it next week because I'm out of time. I love you all and Encourage you to keep praying and reading the book of Mormon.
Have Family home evening and be thankful for all of the wonderful things you have, like Jobs and other stuff.

Love
Elder T Jones

P.S. Mom, maybe you can fix my spelling and punctuation before you show the rest of the world...Just kidding, but that would be nice

No comments:

Post a Comment