Johannesburg South Africa Temple

Johannesburg South Africa Temple
Click on to see what our family belives.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Missionary asks about Family Prayer, Scripture reading, and Family Home Evening?

The Missionary's Questions to the Family.
1. How is family home evening going? 
2. How is family prayers going?
3. How is family scripture reading?

Family Answer: Honestly these are all always works in progress and refinement. There is an ebb and flow to them depending on the mood and strength of the family unit. So we are forever working to be better at each one and some days they are are done with greatness and some days we failed miserably and get up to the next day to work to do them again better the next time. We are not perfect but we are striving to gain that goal which will meet at some point if we try try try and keep always trying to reach that goal. 

1.I want to know what you mean about being obedient? Are you referring to the fact that sleeping is a favorite and hard for you even now that you are on a time zone that agrees with your biological internal clock or is it like Missionary Kathrine Howell says those who are native to the country often act as if the missionary rules do not apply to them?
1.Well I'm kind of confused about this Question, but I can say that I have been trying to develop alot more self control since I came on my mission and I started with making a resolution to be obedient all the time. Unfortunately you have to be with someone else all the time and they don't always want to be obedient and that causes contention. I don't like Contention and I don't like being disobedient so it's alot less stressful and alot more happy when your comp wants to be obedient too.
2.How do you practice listening to the spirit? 
2.We Do Real plays (Role plays) every day to try and discern the spirit, but mostly it just come in teaching and everyday life and decisions. You just have to search for it and you will find it. It's also easier when you don't watch TV and bother yourself with worldly stuff a majority of the time.
3.What are the Internet cafes like that you have to send letters to us from,are they hard to keep the spirit there about you because of the smoke or loud music?
3.The Internet cafes are ok. They are like public businesses so they don't allow smoking and what what inside. None of the Cafes I've been to are actually cafes. They are strictly for computer use.
4. What does it say on pg 15 of the 9:00pm schedule last sentence of the white handbook?
4.It says write in your journal. (I have been writing every night since the first day of January!)
5. Have you taken the time to see when your temple recommend expires? Make sure before you leave Africa that is is in affect with Pres. Poulsen so that you are able to attend here without having to take time to track down the people it will take to get it updated
5. I still have until July, then I will get it updated
6.What pictures would you like to see of our family do you have any choices that I could put on next week?
6.Any pictures I love pictures from home
7. Did you have lots of DA's this week? Has anyone asked you to do something that took practice that may have been lost from lack of practice? There is a sister that says she will make sure your fed if you have no DA's have you met her yet?
7.Not really, the ward is really good at giving us food though. We are not supposed to have DA's after 6:00 and that's when everyone wants to do it. The only way is if they have someone for us to teach.

Unfortunately I'm out of time but it's been a great week. I might have to write a letter. We'll see.
Love Elder Jones

 Dear Son and Brother
What a fun week we have had meeting your companions mother over the Missionaries Moms group.As soon as I saw the name I knew I had seen it on the group of the Moms from Africa. I am grateful for those who are willing to share and care about each other in this wonderful world that we live in. And we got see you little flat that sits sorta behind the green roofed house. The boys wonder if the car you have is still blue, that was the color of the one in the google maps address photo that Sister Seastrand sent for us to look at this week. 

This is my take on Listening to the spirit it takes practice every single day coupled with prayer so getting enough sleep helps turn on your ears to hear him loudly at times that you will need his quiet shouting like the time when the car was coming towards me on the freeway and I heard his shout to get in a different lane. 

The alumni wrestle happened this week and the team wiped out Gunnison C did not pin but he had 9 to 4 points on his opponent. I am not sure if you knew that Mike retired yet but can still whip Caleb Young on the mat. The two Willes brothers went against each other and tied up. It was fun to see some of the old guys on the mat. They honored Mike with a legend trophy that they want to start from now on. Thursday was crazy Mc went to the planetarium and then to a region wrestling. The buses made it back from SLC with barley enough time for them to hop in another car and head over to Millard county. He took 4th and was pretty pleased with himself. Of course we had to tell him earlier in the week that he had to finish out the season and go all the way to the end as he is starting to get tired of the practices every night after school. C that same night wrestled in Wayne county and pinned both of the kids he had to wrestle. Every kid on the varsity high school team has qualified to go to state this year. Jer goes around whistling all day now and asks me if I can whistle also. He even whistles in school and when he wants my attention.  Reminds me of someone else that's far away. I did another 6 mile run this week. My friend did an 8 mile run and so I guess this week I better get a move on if I am going to keep up with her.She already has ran a half marathon and she wants me to come run with her. I am a bit scared of it though because I have to talk myself into doing it everyday. Also running outside is way different then inside since there seems to be hills that pop up out of no where when you run outside, which of course makes you breath really hard at times and gets you into a discouraged state for a moment and then all of a sudden there is a flattening and if you kept going then you know that you can go more but if you quit on the hill then there is the talking yourself back into doing it more. This analogy reminds me of maybe how taking time to read the Book of Mormon when your at home and not having to do it can be just like preparing to run in a day but on your mission the time is set aside to do the reading its a part of the assignment. So I guess the bottom line is I just need to set the goal pay the fee and get running so that I am ready to run with her when the date arrives because when its all done I will feel so great. J even went with me on one of my walk/runs around the valley Sat. It only took us an hour and a half where last year it took me about two and a half hours to get around the valley. We couldn't run the whole time because she would get to tired and she had bad shoes on but it was fun to finally get her to go with me.  Tonight Z will be going to a get ready to be baptized class let me tell you he is so very thrilled to be able to go do this.
Please tell us all the new things that this week has brought to you in teaching the truth of all things that really matter most in this world.
Love the family who loves you here.

No comments:

Post a Comment